Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Intervals

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 47:15
Route: Portobello

Tonight was quality session 2 of week 7 of the Jack Daniel's marathon training plan. This required 4 minutes 'hard' intervals with 3 minutes recovery, to total 10k. That is roughly the distance of my Portobello route so I followed it (I went at tea-time which meant there was a bit too much rush hour traffic in parts unfortunately).

Rather amusingly I ended up doing the work-out only 60 seconds slower than when I did the full distance at a 'hard' pace only a week ago! I'm not sure what this proves to be honest... I found the session relatively enjoyable, pushing hard on the 4 minute intervals safe in the knowledge that there was a (relative) rest of 3 minutes just around the corner. What I found most interesting about the run was my recovery pace - it was a recovery in the sense that the pace was substantially slower than the hard interval pace with my heart rate, breathing etc. clearly falling back to a very comfortable level, but I would be willing to bet it was a recovery pace which was 30-60 seconds quicker than I would have required only a month or so ago.

Tomorrow I have 5 a-side football so that goes down as a partial rest day. 6 miles on Friday would give me 38 miles for the week; a new high, brought about mainly by my Sunday run of 16 miles.

Next week will be week 8 of the Jack Daniel's plan, with Q denoting a quality session, and will be something like:

Saturday: 4.1 miles easy (hilly)
Sunday (Q1): 25 minutes easy, 30 minutes threshold, 25 minutes easy (about 10 miles)
Monday: 6.25 miles easy
Tuesday: 4.5 miles easy
Wednesday (Q2): Sets of 4 minute hard intervals with 3 minute recovery, to total 6 miles
Thursday: 5 a-side football
Friday: 8 miles easy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home