Friday, February 17, 2006

End of the week

Distance: 3 miles (treadmill)

I decided to do a treadmill session. I'm not a great fan of the treadmill for all of the reasons that everyone has heard before, but mainly because it gets so hot in the gym. Still, it is definitely less hard on the legs than roads or pavements and it does make a change from getting cold, wet and blown about.

Summary for the past week:

Saturday: 4.5
Sunday: 10
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 6.5
Wednesday: 6
Thursday: 4.5
Friday: 3
Total: 34.5

Next week is week 9 of the Jack Daniels' marathon training plan. Quality session 1 calls for a mixture of easy running with 5 x 5 minute threshold runs (and 1-min rests) sandwiched in the middle. This fits roughly around my 14 mile long run route so I will follow it. Second quality session is sets of 1000m - mile intervals with 3-5 mins recovery, to total 8k. The rest of the miles for the week - to add up to mid-30s - are the usual easy miles.

My shin doesn't appear to be getting any worse nor clearing up. Having had shin splints a number of times previously I know things could be much worse. There is only two weeks to go until my 10k race, which is then followed a week later by a half-marathon race. If things don't get any worse I think I will keep training as normal until the 10k and then simply take the week off before the half marathon if I am still having problems. Not very scientific and perhaps not the best way to cure the problem, but I want to get these two races done if at all possible, as well as factoring in a break in the not too distant future to give the shin a rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home