Thursday, January 26, 2006

Rest

Today was a rest day after 5 solid days of running. Only slight niggle is a tight left hamstring, but it eased off during the day and will hopefully disappear overnight. No reaction at all from my shins so far which I am delighted (and suprised) with, although that's an ailment liable to flare up at any time.

My entry confirmation for the Nairn 10k arrived today so that is March well and truly taken care of. 5 weeks to go until my first race and, while not particularly nervous, I am a bit apprehensive after so long away from running and football through injury, with 'only' two months training behind me (assuming nothing happens between now and then). Next week's hard 6-miler should give me a better indication of what time I'm likely to hit - at the moment I'm a bit clueless, and I suspect that is at the root of the apprehension.

I've been contemplating my training toward's June's marathon after reading various blogs and skimming the works of Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard etc. I think it is safe (and wise) to continue with base training until about mid-March (which for me will be gradually increasing mileage each month, and gradually stretching my Sunday long run). All things being well I should be creeping into 40 mile weeks with a longest run approaching 20 mile ( easy to write that in a blog, and I'm very conscious that the reality may be somewhat different). At that point I could probably start thinking about adding some faster and harder runs ('tempo' and 'threshold' runs as per the jargon) and a bit of hillwork. So until then I'll just relax and enjoy my slow running.

I've found loads of interesting running blogs of late with people of all types and abilities recording their progress. At last I've found a Scots blogger, albeit an ex-pat! Yvonne's speedyscot blog.

I'm not sure if it is only us in the UK who are getting it, but that new Jaguar 'gorgeous' advert is really starting to get on my nerves....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home