Friday, January 20, 2006

Longer-term goals

Today was another day of enforced rest. I can see gradual progress with my illness - much less coughing, much less catarhh, much less bunged up - but I still have a really annoying ringing sensation in my left ear. According to the doc, my sinus infection spread to my ear and has resulted in a slightly retracted eardrum. Its not sore, just really, really annoying. Anyway, I can only hope that after this I'll be immune to whatever cold and flu bugs are going about. Come the weekend I suspect the itch to do some form of exercise will have got the better of me. I'm going to give football a miss, but think I'll wrap up warm and go for a slow jog just to get my legs turning over.

I mentioned previously that I had set some pretty general targets for my first season after injury:

10k - sub 50
1/2 - sub 1:45
Marathon - sub 4

I would hope to hit these targets quite quickly and I'd been scratching ahead about what longer-term goals I could set myself which wouldn't either be ridiculous or relatively meaningless. And then it occurred to me - find out my dads PBs. He did a lot of running when he was working and I have plenty of memories as a kid of his stretching routines in the house before and after his runs. So in true Freudian fashion, my longer term goals simply have to be to beat his PBs . I'd say they are safe enough for a good while yet:

10k - 39:40
1/2 - 1:29:51
Marathon - 3:40 (he tells me he never managed to run a marathon injury free)

Thanks to Duncan Larkin for stopping by. I think someone described Duncan's blogging as 'raw' - that seems a good description to me; his posts are they are usually very interesting and I'd recommend anyone to stop by and have a read of his blog. I find blog's like these quite inspirational as I seek to drag myself from my post-injury, workaholic, part-time student slumber and back into the realms of proper fitness. Its going to be a long, slow journey, so its nice to read about other peoples trials and tribulations across the spectrum of fitness levels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home