Friday, December 22, 2006

4 more miles

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 32:45

My run today (Thursday) followed the same route as Monday and took roughly the same amount of time. It was freezing (literally) so it was a significant mental challenge to force myself outside after such a long layoff from regular running. But I did it, and didn't feel too bad during the run - perhaps a little tired on the last half mile or so, but I think the cause of that was a circuit session I did yesterday (my first one of those in quite a while).

My revised target for this week is simply 3 runs of 4 miles each. Next week I'll probably do 3 runs of 6 miles and so on. That's a fairly conservative increase, but even so it won't be too long even on that trajectory before I'm back to being a 'proper' runner. Its not that I couldn't do more mileage at the moment - I could, and reasonably easily I think - but I am very wary of pushing my knee too quickly. I'd never had an IT band-type injury before it happened after the Loch Ness marathon, and I was shocked at how quickly it arrived and how seriously it affected my running. I don't want to go back there any time soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Last time I had an IT band issue I did pretty much the same thing without incident. Since it would usually start hurting at four miles, I just ran three miles a day for a week or so before testing the waters. Different for everyone though.

6:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home