Sunday, May 07, 2006

Edinburgh Great Run 10k - 45:05

Distance: 10k
Time: 45:05 (watch time)
Event: Edinburgh Great Run 10k

This morning was the Edinburgh Great Run 10k - about 8,000 people took part in the race, which took in most of the sights of central Edinburgh and cut across one of weekly training routes.

This was my first 10k in about a decade and a half and I managed to break my season's taregt of 50 minutes - which wasn't too difficult. I'd been hoping to break 45 mins given the amount of running I've been doing over the past few months but unfortunately it looks like I didn't quite make it. The event was chipped, so I'll be interested to see how my official time works out.

The weather was a gloomy in Edinburgh this morning - cool, misty, raining but not too windy. Good conditions for running, but not so good for hanging about waiting to start.

The course was tough but not too bad - there were lots of little steep inclines and declines, and one long hill which I run about a couple of times a week on my Arthur A route. The changing elevation made it a little tough to judge pace, and I seemed to lose places on the downhill section and make them back on the uphill parts.

I'm always amazed by people who can give mile-by-mile accounts of their race - it all just blurs into one long slog for me.

My only gripe about today - the slow runners who insist on starting near the front of the race and cause mayhem for everyone else trying to get past them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice 10K, always good to make your goal. Looks like the miles are paying off.

10:01 pm  
Blogger Thomas said...

That's pretty close to your target time - well done. The slow starters at the front are there in every race. They are like gnats - a nuisance, but nothing much you can do about them, cause squatting them all isn't an option.

5:03 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Cheers guys - just nice to have a target to aim for next time!

11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home