Thursday, April 27, 2006

Threshold

Distance: 12 miles
Time: 1:34:30

Tonight I did the same run as last week - 12 miles comprising: 3 miles easy, 6 miles of 5 min threshold, 30 second easy, 3 miles steady.

I think I was marginally quicker tonight but somehow managed to forget to start my Garmin until I was about 4 minutes into the run, so I'll just call it the same time as last week.

Fergus was asking about my long run route. Its pretty straightforward - starting from Meadowbank, run down Portobello Road, along Portobello Promenade, at the end of the Promenade follow the road down to Musselburgh, take a left to run past Musselburgh Pier and then along the shore-front, cross the bridge and follow John Muir's Walk all the way down to Prestonpans. The front door of the power station is exacty 9.5 miles from my flat!! And then all the way back of course....

I'm thinking about dropping my Sunday 20 miler and doing something a bit shorter this weekend. 2 reasons - I've had a little bit of tenderness in my knee this week (nothing major, but I wonder if my body is telling me to take an easy weak) and I have a 10k next week which I'd like to run on semi-fresh legs. I've done 4 Sundays in a row of 20 miles, so I think I'm entitled to miss one at some point....

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Good job keeping up the threshold running. The long run is the run I love to hate, or maybe it's the opposite. I also think it's the most important run of the week for a marathoner, but that's just me. Have you thought about a compromise, either running it slower, cutting it to 16-18 miles, or both? If the knee is really bothering you, probably skipping it altogether wouldn't be so bad either. So my advice is...no advice.

6:23 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Hi Mike - I think I'll end up cutting back a little next week. Its been small increases almost every couple of weeks since Xmas to get to 50 miles so I think I'll give myself a little break before next weekend's 10k.

11:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home