Saturday, April 01, 2006

Up the hill

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 36 minutes
Route: Arthur B

This morning I ran my Arthur B route, which is basically a nasty steep hill around the back of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. I took it reasonably easy after a relatively long week of running and felt OK.

Joggerblogger was asking about the Jack Daniel's marathon training programme I am following. The title of the book is Daniels' Running Formula and I'd recommend it as a solid purchase to anyone who is starting out on running and looking for a bit of guidance. It covers the science of running, different types of training and their benefits and it provides a variety of programmes from the middle-distance track stuff all the way through to advanced marathon training. In short, there's something for everyone in it. Not sure how much of it is available on the web though. With regards to speed, I expect you'll see this come as a natural consequence of regular running. I've found that solid mileage has clearly been increasing my aerobic capacity and that my cruising pace has just got gradually quicker. Its all relative though...

3 Comments:

Blogger strewth said...

Don't like the sound of the Arthur B route much with that nasty steep hill! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. The book sounds good.

7:44 am  
Blogger Thomas said...

Don't worry too much about speed - marathon running requires endurance first and most of all.
Personally I think speed training should only be an add-on towards the end of the training cycle.

I like the spund of that hill though - it sounds tough, and hill running makes you stronger.

6:25 pm  
Blogger [rich] said...

Cheers for the info on the book :-)

6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home