Thursday, April 06, 2006

10 miles with threshold running

Distance: 10 miles (ish)
Time: 1:19:24

Tonight's run was 2 miles easy, 6 miles of 15 min threshold with 3 min easy, and 2 miles easy. I had a bad start with my Garmin refusing to pick up the signal properly as I hung about outside my house in the freezing cold. Then I had to run my usual out and back long distance route with a gale force wind behind me for the first half, and against me for the second half. My splits were therefore all over the place because of the wind and an unhappy Garmin, but a couple of my threshold mile splits are showing up as been between 7:00 and 7:30, which sounds about right. This was the first time I've stretched my legs in a training run in quite a while and there was a noticeable difference in terms of lactic build-up (or the lack of it) at a quicker than easy pace. The last time I did this route with a threshold session included it took me just over 1:22.

So, a decent 10 miler spoilt a bit by the weather. I think I'll give myself a day off tomorrow after another high mileage (for me anyway) week.

I'm planning another 20 miler on Sunday. I had thought about doing 22, but the literature suggests that as it takes me just over 3 hours to do 20 anyway there isn't much to be gained by doing the extra 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home