Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Still cold

Distance: 4.5
Time: 34:45
Route: Arthur A

Sometimes too much information can be a bad thing:

(i) there are quite a few people having a grump on the runnersworld website that the Edinburgh half marathon in a couple of weeks time is not a chipped event. With over 3,500 entrants so far that raises the real prospect of a considerable discrepancy between 'official' time and 'watch' time. So, instead of concentrating on the run itself I'm busy worrying about that. Not that it really matters I guess.

(ii) i was reading my Jack Daniel's training book last night and flicked over the pages talking about running stride. Seemingly a lot of 'average runners' have too long, and hence inefficient, a run stride and he recommends magining 'running on eggshells' as a way to get a proper turnover. Now, I have no idea if my run stride is too long, too short, or just perfect, but I thought I'd give this slightly shorter stride lark a go. Outcome? I probably just ended up running a bit faster than normal as today's time was only 30 seconds outside of my best time for Arthur A.

4 Comments:

Blogger [rich] said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:50 pm  
Blogger [rich] said...

I think that I'd just start your watch as you cross the starting line, and use your recorded time as the time it took to run the race.

Funny about the stride, I always think that my stride is to short.

:-)

4:52 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

I just started counting strides today during a tempo run. I came up with 185 strides a minute, though I almost passed out while doing it since I was counting out loud for awhile. I've always heard 180+ was fine, but don't we all have different leg lengths?

7:56 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Absoluetly, I'll just have to do a count like you did. I'm guessing a be running a bit fewer than 180, but we'll see.

9:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home