Sunday, March 12, 2006

Another race missed

Distance: 6 miles (treadmill)

Last weekend I missed out on the Nairn 10k after it was postponed because of bad weather (and I look unlikely to be able to run on the rearranged date).

Today I was due to run in the Inverness half marathon, but there had been plenty of warnings that the weather might effect this race as well. I woke up this morning to snow in Edinburgh but, having checked via the website that the race was still going ahead, I headed north. After a few power slides and much wheel spinning I made it to the Forth Road Bridge just outside of Edinburgh only to find out via a road sign and the radio that a couple of snow gates on the main road noth (over an hour's drive further north) were closed. So, after checking with relatives in the Inverness area I decided to admit defeat and crawled back to my flat and hit the treadmill instead. (Inverness from Edinburgh is about a 2 and a half hour drive due north, and if you know your Scottish geography you will know that if it is snowing in Edinburgh there's a more than fair chance the weather further north will be even grimmer - simply because of the high ground which has to be navigated).

They managed to hold the race because Inverness itself had escaped the worst of the weather, but according to another runner on the runnersworld website who was also defeated by the elements, some 650 out of 1500 entrants didn't manage it either.

The Edinburgh half marathon is scheduled for two weeks today, so barring any further disasters that will be my first race of the season and my first ever half marathon....Before then I need to squeeze in a 14 mile run somewhere this week after deciding against trying it in the snow and wind in Edinburgh today. I'm also toying with an 18 miler the following Sunday, which would represent my longest training run ever.

I also found out today that my car (a black Ford Puma the same as that pictured below) is abolutely terrible to drive in the snow. Put it on a winding road in the dry however....



1 Comments:

Blogger [rich] said...

Fingers crossed then for next weekend :-) I'm sure you will be fine with the half, especially with all the long runs you have been putting in.

I started running for the first time last August and did the Robin Hood half in September, It was great can't wait for it this year.

The two things that I will do different this time though are to train for longer before hand, and not get drunk the night before :-P

8:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home