Sunday, June 25, 2006

Changes

Since the Edinburgh marathon 2 weeks ago I've done no running at all, and very little physical exercise in general. I hope that that rest, during which I've had a cold, will have allowed my body to recover from the marathon. I'm also hoping it will have cleared the niggle I was feeling on the outside of my right knee in the lead up to the marathon.

The new 3 month schedule starts tomorrow, building up to the Loch Ness marathon on 1 October, with a 10k and half marathon along the way. Target times as follows:

Marathon target: break 3:45 (3:57:58 PB)
Half marathon: break 1:40 (1:47 PB)
10k: break 43:00 (45:05 PB)

All challenging, but all I believe are achievable if I can get some solid miles under my belt.

I've decided to incorporate a number of changes to my routine this time round. Nothing major, just a series of small refinements which I hope will help me along.

Surfaces: most of my running in the last cycle was on pavements/roads, and this time round I'm going to try and get onto a few trails and some grass. Its not entirely straightforward to do that in Edinburgh, but it just means I'll have to travel a bit further than my front door before starting my sessions.

Mileage: my maximum mileage for the last cycle was low 50's. This Pfitzinger cycle calls for a few weeks of mid to high 60s. I think this increase in mileage should be manageable.

Trainers: I alternated two pairs of trainers since new year and have replaced them both for this cycle. They probably had a few miles left in them, but with my iffy knee it seemed like as good a time as any to make a changes.

Stretching: I've never felt the need to do much stretching, and don't plan to change that too much now but I've found a ITBS stretch which I'll use as insurance against the sensation I was feeling on the outside of my right knee in the lead up to Edinburgh

Core stability: during the last cycle I didn't get into a routine of doing sit-ups, and that's something I'll try to rectify this time around.

Hydration: with the summer (such as it is) upon us, I'm going to try to take on a bit more water throughout the day. It might not make me any quicker, but I'm sure it can't do any harm. So, a few trips to the water cooler at work and a few bottles of water in my fridge at home.

It begins with 5 miles easy tomorrow, hopefully on grass.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

In answer to your question over at my place, yes, my present pace is definitely an improvement compared with anything I used to do. I'm increasing my mileage to a new level, and that is definitely agreeing with me.

My issues are quite similar to yours, I never do stretching (I used to try half-heartedly a few times), I run nearly all my miles on paved roads (which I want to change), and I never did any core strengthening work, but I've started doing that a few weeks ago.

11:41 am  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Great stuff. Its always good to see someone making improvements and I'm looking forward to seeing how your next races go.

9:22 pm  
Blogger Mike said...

Good list of "do's" for the next cycle, though I had to bit my tongue while you didn't run for two weeks!! The only thing I'd add is not to worry about the paces too much while you get back to it, you might be a little rusty for a week or two but the fitness will come flying back.

Thomas above is becoming a very good example too, it's amazing how he manages to get in the miles with the three kids.

I hate stretching, I don't do it.

12:47 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

I can imagine two weeks would seem like an eternity for you Mike, but hopefully it will work me. The combination of my knee, a cold and the marathon meant the two weeks went by quickly enough.

8:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home