Saturday, June 17, 2006

Schedule

I'm toying with whether to have another week without running next week. I think there is merit in having an extended rest because I the marathon was so draining in the heat, because I had a niggling knee tendom problem leading up to the marathon and because I've been suffering with the cold this week.

On the basis that I will take the week off, I have prepared my schedule from now until the Loch Ness Marathon on 1 October as per below (the image is larger if you click it....).

Its basically the Pfitzinger and Douglas 12 week "multiple marathon" schedule, tweaked to take account of the 10k and half marathon I plan to run, and also to reflect the fact that I've got just over 14 weeks to play with.

The highlights of weekly mileage, midweek semi-long run and the weekend long, slow run are summarised below. Its not radically different from what I did in the build up to Edinburgh, and I think it should be achievable. My training paces will be calculated on the basis of 8:30 miles during the marathon.

From week beginning 26 June;
Week 1 - 27 miles (7 miles)
Week 2 - 32 miles (7 miles midweek, 10 miles LSR)
Week 3 - 42 miles (9 miles midweek, 13 miles LSR)
Week 4 - 54 miles (12, 16)
Week 5 - 60 miles (13, 18)
Week 6 - 58 miles (12, 20)
Week 7 - 60 miles (13, 18)
Week 8 - 64 miles (15, 15)
Week 9 - 66 miles (15, 20)
Week 10 - 50 miles (11, half marathon race)
Week 11 - 67 miles (15, 20)
Week 12 - 46 miles (14, 10k race)
Week 13 - 47 miles (9, 13)
Week 14 - Marathon week


6 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I actually really like this schedule, especially the half marathon a month out and the 10K two weeks out. If the marathon is your ultimate goal, I would suggest not really tapering too much for either shorter race, just so that you're body won't come around too soon. I speak from experience on this, by the way.

Are you sure you don't want to stretch a few of those long runs just a teensy bit longer?

10:03 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Thanks for the input Mike - much appreciated.

I'm with you on the tapering front - I'm just going to train through the 10k and half maratho. After the Loch Ness Marathon there should be plenty of time to do a shorter distance of a fresher pair of legs.

I'm not far behind you on the long runs either. I'm probably just a bit wary about pushing my body a bit too far (from what was essentially a standing start in January) too soon. But if the first month or so of the next phase goes well I'll probably do what I did last time and aim for a 20 miler on as many Sunday's as I can before the big event.

12:23 am  
Blogger Thomas said...

Looks like a fine program to me, as long as you're confident that your body can handle the highest mileage weeks. The half and 10k races are timed perfectly.

Since you asked, the strides should be run as fast as you can while still maintaining good form. That's definitely faster than 3/4 effort, but not all-out sprinting. Maintaining good form is a) crucial and b) difficult.

7:23 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Thanks for that Thomas.

Just displaying my running ignorance - the Pfitzinger calls for regular strides and, while I understand the concept, the actual effort involved wasn't immediately obvious to me.

The Stirling 10k and Glasgow Half are very handily situated in the running calendar, and neither is more than a relatively short drive away.

8:32 pm  
Blogger [rich] said...

Looks good to me - bit above what I can do :-) have you started out again yet?

4:14 pm  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Starting out again tomorrow!

6:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home