Friday, June 16, 2006

Post-marathon thoughts

A picture from the marathon. It is a bit difficult to tell, but judging from the background I think this may be from the home straight.



Post-marathon has been a mixed bag. Within a couple of days my legs were completely back to normal and there appears to be no muscular after effects from the race. I had a few twinges of my knee on Sunday but that has also receded. I have, however, succombed to the classic post-marathon illness and have been suffering with a cold since Wednesday. I still haven't been out for a jog and don't plan to do so until next week.

My weekly mileage totals since January are listed below, along with the distance of my Sunday long run and midweek semi-long run. I think they show an honest 6 month training effort - a gradual increase in mileage, a gradual increase of the long run with several 20 milers, and a decent semi-long run during the week. Looking back at it, having begun from a near standing start at the beginning of January there isn't too much I would change. I could have done more miles, or upped the pace on my runs, but at the stage I was at I think that would have been inviting injury.

Two of the year's goals have been achieved already: a sub-50 10k was never going to be difficult, and my PB of 45:05 makes a handy next target. As does the sub-4 marathon time of 3:57:58. The only goal not achieved so far is a sub 1:45 half marathon, and hopefully that will be achieved before the end of the year.

What next? Well, the main target is the Loch Ness Marathon on 1 October. I plan a little more rest and then a gradual build up into a 3 month training plan. Between now and then I'll probably try and complete one 10k and one half marathon. Target time for Loch Ness - on the basis of last week's effort, I don't think a target of 3:45 is unreasonable.

-----------
Weekly mileage January - June 2006

1 - 29 miles (8 miles long run, 6 miles mid-week)
2 - 13 miles (illness) (10 miles long run)
3 - 23.5 miles (12, 4)
4 - 29 miles (8,6)
5 - 35 miles (14,6)
6 - 32 miles (16,6)
7 - 35 miles (10,6)
8 - 14 miles (illness)
9 - 20.5 miles
10 - 37 miles (12,6)
11 - 37 miles (14,6)
12 - 33 miles (18,6)
13 - 42 miles (half marathon, 12)
14 - 46 miles (20, 12)
15 - 47 miles (20, 8.5)
16 - 50 miles (20, 12)
17 - 50 miles (20, 12)
18 - 22 miles (taper for 10k)
19 - 40 miles (10k, 12)
20 - 51 miles (20, 12)
21 - 44 miles (20, 120
22 - 20 miles (taper)
23 - 15 miles (taper)

4 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

I've already heard from others that the heat had been brutal, well done on toughing it out. I agree on the training plan, I wouldn't change much either, apart from not becoming sick maybe. You did what, 6 20-milers? That's very good for someone who started from zero. Congratulations on breaking 4 hours (which took me 3 marathons) and 3:45 definitely seems achievable. In fact, if the weather had been more runner-friendly, you might have managed that already.

Keep recovering, and this time you won't have to start from zero.

9:41 am  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Thanks Thomas. Believe it or not, when I got up to go to work the day after the Edinburgh marathon it was actually raining....

9:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you took the beanie off for the marathon :-)

Night before last there were highlights from the Edinburgh Marathon on tv. Probably about half an hour of coverage. I'm all inspired now - I'm thinking about giving it a go next year. I rarely run much over 10-12km, but perhaps with a bit of serious training and a few 10km & halfs first...

Any books you'd recommend on training programs?

8:42 am  
Blogger edinburghrunner said...

Brett - I'd recommend both Jack Daniels "Running Formula" and Pfitzinger and Douglas' "Advanced Marathong". Both have a variety of schedules to follow depending on how many miles a week you want to follow, and both explain the science behind the runs so that you understand what you are doing and why. As to running a marathon, it shouldn't be a problem for you at all as long as you get a decent schedule and follow it.

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home