Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Dangerous

Distance: 5.98m
Time: 55:15mins


Today I had planned to run on the treadmill after a hard 10k yesterday but it turns out that this is my gym's final festive day of restricted hours (I only found out they were closing early as I walked through the door...). So instead it was out onto the road for a route I haven't run in a long time, and now I remember why. Its past Arthur's Seat (again...) but carrying on into the heart of Edinburgh and running back along Princes St - basically lots of cars and lots of people. What didn't help matters was that it was freezing and ice was beginning to form on the pavements.

It is rather ironic that another marathon blogger was posting yesterday about the periodic abuse he receives from passers-by. I didn't have that today (although I have in the past had eggs thrown at me from a car) but, because of my route, I did have to dodge an incredible amount of pedestrians who seem utterly oblivious to runners. I am always willing to move out of the way when I can but it does get tiresome when no-one else seems prepared to move an inch. Worst of all I ran past a few groups of runners in the Meadows (a park and popular running route in Edinburgh) who, despite taking up the entire pavement and seeing me clearly moving across and trying to run as close to the inside as possible, did not seem to wish to alter their path - at all. It is tempting in those situations just to put your head down and keep running - I'm 6ft and its going to hurt most people more than its going to hurt me if there is a collision. The alternative is to run on the side of the road but I have previous experience with drivers who take great joy in driving straight toward runners. So if its to be a choice between a collision between a car or a pedestrian, I know which one I'm choosing.

I'm following the example of yet another blogger and posting my time and distance at the top of the post - should make it easier to find amid the rest of the nonsense if nothing else.

Perhaps this is the secret to blogging - find out what others are saying and doing and put it on your own....

The run itself today was good - apart from the route - and was a very easy/comfortable pace with a lot of effort to spare. I deliberately avoided looking at the Garmin in case I was tempted to speed up and ended up with 55:15mins for 5.98miles which seems reasonably encouraging at this stage.

All I have to worry about is my essays, shins and being back at work...

2 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Cyclists are another hazard too, particularly as they come flying around bends on the same side of the path as the runner. That can be scarey! And dogs off leashes - now don't get me started there!

Have to admit it is easier to see your time and distance at the top of your entry :-) Its all a matter of trial and error!

10:24 am  
Blogger Steve Bezner said...

Hey, 3 More things in common, in addition to name, marathons and pace.

1. You ran by the Meadows park and I live in the City of Meadows Place that has a Meadows park and school.

2. We both run on treadmills. (Lot's of runners despise them here)

3. We both put running times on the top of our blogs.

Keep it Up!
RunSteve

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home